Those of you in Florida have been experiencing Tropical Storm Debby taunt us for a few days now. My power actually flickered three times in the writing of this post. Thank goodness I’m posting from my laptop today! Her predicted path has changed multiple times, however the effects have been felt from South Florida all the way to Georgia. She’s also been very slow which means lots of rain, and days filled with indoor activities.
Being cooped up indoors usually gives me the crafties –technical term for the urge to craft– so I decided to make a custom chalkboard to use at a maternity session this coming weekend. All the supplies were purchased at Michaels and came in at just under $15. These would be fun in larger shapes for a kids playroom as well! I’m posting a couple of pictures and a step by step tutorial for anyone interested.
- Wood Shape
- Martha Stewart Chalkboard Paint
- Martha Stewart Pearl Acrylic Craft Paint
- Accent Cutout
- 2 Foam Brushes
- Crayola Chalk
I love using Martha Stewarts craft paint line because it has a lot of fun finishes and textures. For this project I used pearl acrylic craft paint in “aquarium,” and black chalkboard acrylic paint. She also offers a grey chalkboard paint but I prefer the contrast with the black.
I found the wood cutout in the section next to all of the letters and fraternity/sorority panels. There was a pretty large variety of shapes and sizes. I chose a piece that was 11×8.5in.
The first step is to paint a layer of the chalkboard paint. I used a total of 3 and they must be FULLY dry before you start a new coat. The recommended time in between is an hour but if you’re anything like me, you know that just means you’ll need to bust out your hair dryer. Here you can also see how the sides aren’t totally smooth. I contemplated sanding them down, but in the end I kind of liked the texture it had and left it mostly intact. I only sanded or cut off anything I saw with “splinter” potential.
Next, I painted the sides with two coats and filled in any spots where it bled into the chalkboard paint.
Finally, I added a cute bumble bee accent and tried out some chalk. I glued the bee because that’s what I had on hand, but in the future I’ll attach a velcro strip to be able to interchange accents.
All that’s left to do now is pray for blue skies in the coming days. The dashboard on my mac has a very gloomy opinion of what this weekend holds, but South Florida tends to have cooky weather. My fingers are crossed and my optimism is high. ♥